Onewetleg

The Trouble With You Is You're Right

March 21, 2006

I sold a vest over a month ago. Beautiful, vintage Louis Feraud, leather with a sheepskin collar. Simply gorgeous.
As I do with all my clothing auctions, I stated that the garment was in very good, gently used, vintage condition and could use a cleaning.
The auction ended and the winning bidder paid about $112 for the vest, plus shipping, of course.
When she got it she took it to have it cleaned. The leather cleaner charged her $200.
She emailed us and asked if perhaps we could split the cost of cleaning it with her.
After we got done rolling on the floor laughing, I politely informed her that it was not our policy to help pay for cleaning that the condition of the vest was disclosed in the auction, and that if she wanted to send the vest back, we would issue a refund, minus 20% restocking fee, per our return policy.
We did not hear from her again until last Friday. She emailed again saying if we did not give her a full refund, she would leave bad feedback, even though she did not want to.
My boss immediately reported her to the evilbay authorities, because feedback extortion is against evilbay policy, and it just isn’t very nice.
Then Boss did a little snooping around and found that the buyer was trying to resell the vest and having very bad luck at it.
She started the auction at $75 dollars, put up crappy, dark photo of it, hanging on a door with a bunch of stuff in the background and a crappy title with almost no keywords in it. Just an ugly, dark, little auction. It barely had a chance.
She puts it up for auction once and it does not sell. Amazing to me, this is, because I managed to sell it for $112 dollars and if she would have sent it back, I could have sold it again. She puts it up again and it still is not selling.
She decided at this point to email us again. The email was worded something like, “Is your policy law? I would think you would try to be nice and give me what I want. If you don’t, I am going to leave you bad feedback.”
My boss responded, “You were told you could get a refund per our policy. It has been 35 days since the auction ended. If you need to leave bad feedback, then do what you got to do, girl” (I am paraphrasing, of course. My boss is very professional. Have I told you lately how much I love her? I love her, love her, and love her).
At her wits end the vest person leaves us not only negative feedback, but a comment that says “Avoid this seller, dishonest” and other lovely sentiments.

Welcome to the blocked bidders list, Mrs. Dumbass. There is some good company in there.
You would think that when buying something in an auction that clearly states the garment needs cleaning, that once you had it cleaned so you could try to resell it (and fail because you are a moron), you wouldn’t ask the person (who told you it needed cleaning before you bought it) for a partial refund 35 days later.

At least I rarely have to see the customers face to face. I do not miss smelling the unwashed masses, that’s for sure.