Onewetleg

The Trouble With You Is You're Right

May 02, 2006

Attn: All Tenants

Below is an accurate rendition of a note that got slid under my door today:


Re: Trash and trash cans in building

All trash or garbage you may have must now be thrown in tiny cans provided and will now all be kept in kitchens. Any garbage that is food or un hygienic must be tied in plastic bags and sealed properly.

Do NOT throw garbage in hallway space any more
All trash is to be neatly put next to or in garbage cans in kitchen.

Anyone dumping trash in hallway space will be warned and if continues possibly asked to leave.

We appreciate you help in this matter to keep building clean for all of your neibor tenants aswell as yourselves.

We have been asked to move them as this may be a hazard for fire, or block an emergency exit.

Respectfully,
The Management


I get notices like this once in a while. This one is significant to me because of an incident that happened about three months ago.

A little background, if you will indulge me.

I have lived here since Nov of 2002.
Up until the mysterious above mentioned incident (that I will disclose in a moment, indulge me), I took my trash out the back door, down the stairs and put it in the trash cans in the alley way. You know, like people who live in apartments do.
This is a hotel, technically, even though we don't have a front desk and all the rooms are monthlys (monthlies?).
I have lived in hotels for years. All of them had a big trash can at the end of the hall where you tossed your trash bag and it was whisked away by fairies in the middle of the night, or taken down the stairs by a cursing person, depending on the place.
So.
Three or so months ago I got up in the morning, put my clothes on and took my trash down the stairs to the cans in the alleyway and exited through the alley to get my morning coffee from the shop downstairs. Like people do.
The manager (owner's son, about 30ish, Jedi Knight, another story) said, "jj, what are you doing coming out the back door?"
"Well, I just took my trash out and I was going out anyway, I figured why go back up the stairs?"
"You aren't allowed in the alley! No one is supposed to go in the alley except the cleaning lady!"
He was clearly in shock. How could this have escaped his attention for all these years?
I says, "What am I supposed to do with my trash, then?"
"Bag it up and leave it in the hall and the cleaning lady will take it down to the trash."
"But, Jedi Knight, that is not only disgusting but a fire hazard and directly disobeys the sign in the hall that says, 'Do Not Leave Trash In The Hall'".
"JJ, don't argue, just leave your trash in the hall."
"Fine. I will."
And by golly, I did.

Today when the note came, it made me laugh a little. Then it made me cry a little because of the grammar, punctuation and spelling.
I took a photo of it that I will try to insert here at some point.

Now I am going to do a little "I told you so" dance.

I may also take a photo of the "tiny cans provided".