Onewetleg

The Trouble With You Is You're Right

March 02, 2006

1950's Postcard

I was shopping for new merchandise for my store today and I found a beat up envelope. I could see there were some pictures inside so I pulled it out and opened it up. The first thing I saw was a picture postcard of the Bay Bridge. I thumbed through it and I saw that it was full of picture postcards, in excellent shape and all looking like they were from the fifties.
I scooped them up with my other treasures and took them back to the room. I put them aside and pretty much forgot about them, listing other stuff, trying to make goal, throwing things across the room, had lunch and then finally got around to looking at them.
It's about 50 cards, or so, from places all over the US. Niagra Falls, Maine, Rhode Island, Vermont, Las Vegas, and a lot from the Bay Area. Fisherman's Wharf, the Bay Bridge, Golden Gate Bridge, Lombard Street, the Cliff House, cable cars, the marina.
One is a pop-up type of affair. On the outside is a drawing of a crab. When you open it there is a little crab stand down on Fisherman's Wharf and a crab goes in a pot of water. Very interesting stuff.
I only found one date, 1957. All are mint and near mint condition. No creases, tears, writing or stamps. Some of them were sold in packets and the glue has stuck on the envelopes a little.
There is a brochure from the Rock Island Line with wonderful illustrations of people riding in the different cars, all smiling, eating, drinking, enjoying the view. The women look like Grace Kelly and the men look like Ward Cleaver.
There is a street map of San Francisco. Pristine. No holes or stains.
All of it mint condition. It's really a nice collection.

I have been sort of stressing about how I should post it. How to photograph it and what to write.
I will probably use in the description some of what I wrote above. I'll have to count them and categorize them. That will take time. Time, time, time.

I upgraded my phone today so now I have caller id and voicemail. Texting, too. The whole upgrade came to a little over ten dollars.

I went out with the New Guy tonight. He and Jr came and picked me up
Jr in a bad mood. Jr said he didn't want me in the van and I had to move him to crawl into the back seat.
Whatever.
He was resisting me but fell victim to my charms in a while. The man had to stop and look at an apartment, because he needs to move and I waited in the car with the none to happy to be left in the car Jr. He cried. Dad came back pretty quick and said the place smelled like pee and was dinky. Welcome to San Francisco.
I made a crappy paper airplane that would fly about one foot. When you're in a vehicle one foot is far enough to actually seem kind of ok. Kind of. Jr liked it for a while. I tried to engage Jr in conversation and get him to talk about himself as much as I could. We talked about birthdays and paper airplanes and motorhomes. We looked at interesting stuff driving by. I enjoyed it.
We went to the Bashful Bull Too. That's a diner. In the Sunset dist, I think. They have a great sign outside of a cartoony bull's head with flashing cartoony eyes. They have a bunch of great signs inside, too. The table where we were sitting had a beautiful view of the street where the L Taraval train kept going by.
The meal went pretty well. I had eggs, scrambled, hash browns and sausage. I like breakfast. Jr had a chocolate milkshake and a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. I can't rememeber what the man had. Some kind of sandwich with onion rings and a coffee milkshake.
After dinner we got in the van and drove around. Through Golden Gate park and up and down Haight St.
Jr fell asleep in the back and then we had a chance to talk grown up talk, which was nice. I like that guy. I really like both of those guys.